Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Declaration of Independence

I am
Black
Caribbean
American
Woman

I am
Fleshy Lips
Protruding Hips
Thick Thighs
Narrow Waist

My hair curls rebelliously against my efforts to follow the
Straight and Narrow
Beautiful Ebony
Essence
Black Hair/Weave
Successful
Independent
Strong Sistas

I prefer Joan Osborne to
Aretha Franklyn
Alanis Morissette to
Indie Arie
but I love me some Lauren Hill

I wear Aeropostale
Forever 21
Charlotte Russe
No Sean Jean
Babyfat or
House of Dereon

I like
Black
White
Chinese
Indian
Hispanic boys
slanted eyes
curly hair
freckles
dark skin

My grandmother is half Portuguese
Half Indian
Even she is a part of me

I eat
eggs
cheese
milk
but consume no flesh
no meat

What part of me do you find discomforting?
What part of me should I ignore for the sake of your sanity,
for the sake of your acceptance
approval
respect
love?

This is me
This is who I am
Listen if you can to my voice,
There is only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting. Your comments mean a lot to me!